THE ORIGIN OF HIRSCHMANN MULTIMEDIA

The history of Hirschmann goes back to 1924. In that year, German-born Richard Hirschmann developed the banana plug. This banana plug was invented for Siemens, to improve the connection of fluorescent tubes. It proved to be the alternative to the classic 'click-and-screw' constructions, which did not work optimally. In the following decades, the company developed into an internationally operating organisation with a leading role in the field of modern data communication systems.
 

 1924  

 

Foundation of Hirschmann in Esslingen, Germany

 1930 

 

Start of the industrial production in Esslingen

 1956  

      

Expansion of the central production in Neckartenzlingen

 1965-2004

 

Further expansion of the production and subsidiaries in Europe, USA and Asia

 1969        

 

Foundation of Hirschmann Netherlands

 1997              

 

Hirschmann becomes a part of Rheinmetall AG, Düsseldorf

 1999 

 

The Automation and Network Solutions Division is established

 2002  

 

PAT GmbH, Electronic Control Systems Division is acquired

 2004

 

HgCapital becomes the majority shareholder of Hirschmann

 2005 

 

Division of Hirschmann into Hirschmann Automation and Control GmbH and Hirschmann Car Communications GmbH

 2007

 

Belden Inc., Saint Louis (USA), koopt Hirschmann Automation and Control GmbH

 2009  

 

Management buyout of Hirschmann Multimedia B.V. in the Benelux